Friday 29 June 2012

Operation duck pond begins

When we moved in there was a resident duck here, which we quickly named Daphne (original I know!) and although she looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, we are convinced she thinks she is a chicken!

Childhood memories of Beatrix Potter came flooding over me one day, and I knew I had to have my own Jemima Puddleduck. Now for those of you that know me well, you will know I am quite impulsive, and when I want something I want it yesterday....operation find me ducklings begun!

We enquired in the usual "farmy" places, but alas the Chinese restaurants had beaten me to it, however, I received a tip off that there was a farmers market in Jinnemar! If you know GC well, you will know that visiting Jinnemar for anything is dangerous, it is one of those lock your doors and pray you have tires when you return to your car type places...

However, I was undeterred and casually dropped into a conversation with my husband one day that I wanted ducks, therefore, a duck pond needed to be dug, lined and filled NOW! I often use the claim that "we" will be doing this activity, however, in reality it means that he will be doing all the hard work, whilst I sit and give my expert opinion...

So, the digging begins, and he has a look on his face expressing that this is going to be the smallest duck pond in history, where as I have grand ideas of full scale waterways! Needless to say the man putting in all the effort wins! The pond is filled, the little duck house in place, the straw plumped.....all I need now is my ducks.....


No comments:

Post a Comment