Sunday 9 June 2013

It is All About the Birds and the Frogs

There are Canarian men that are rude, sexist, and arrogant, and others that are lovely. Thankfully I try to only associate with the ones that are lovely, and I met one yesterday. He arrived at my gates like a breath of fresh air, friendly, chatty and full of knowledge.

This guy lived further up the valley, in the wilderness, and came armed with tips and words of wisdom. He was a friend of a friend, and as the conversation progressed the barranco become the talking point. I was asked yet again why I lived behind the barranco, and as I have said many times, "because I don't like visitors"

The jokes begun about when it floods, and how quickly I need to get the car out, the Canarian guy them asked if I knew when the water was coming. Of course I replied, it typically rains a lot, and then a huge rumble and hey presto we have our own private river.

No, no, no he said in a panic like fashion, "it is all about the frogs" "watch the frogs" now up until this point I did think he was normal, however, my opinion begun to rapidly change. He went on to explain that his grandfather, and his before him, had taught the younger generations to watch the frogs. Now I know there is not a lot to do in the mountains, but come on frog watching!

However, it seems that when the water is about to flood the barranco the frogs cross the road to ensure that they are ready. As bizarre as it seems there is some logic to this, and he went on to explain that we all need to use out senses far more, and never rely on the weather people and the news.

Needless to say I had other fantastic weather tips including seabirds and wind, but they are for another blog, as I need to go and watch the frogs!



No comments:

Post a Comment